Saturday, August 29, 2009

Back To the Future Part XXXIV



A friend of mine recently posted this photo of me on Facebook. I was 16 years old when it was taken and it's hard to believe that it's been 18 years since I stood beneath that tree during lunch period in the courtyard. That was a lifetime ago.

I look at this photo and wonder if I had a Back To the Future moment and that girl could see me now, what she would think of who I've become? Would she climb back into the Delorean traumatized and vowing to do everything differently or would she wake up in her pink canopy bed and hope that the beautiful future that she saw for herself wasn't just a dream? Would she be proud of the ladybug tattoo I got when I was 18? Would she hate my haircut that I hate now that I'm trying to grow out? Would she be shocked to see that I am no longer wearing blood red lipstick and Doc Martins? I swore that I would wear Doc Martins until the day I died. Would she see my two boys and marvel at how fantastic they are?

I think that as she hid in my hall closet (because we all know from watching Back to the Future that the me from the past cannot, under any circumstances, be seen by the future me) that she would be shocked to watch me successfully cook dinner for my family. She would gasp at the image of me folding laundry and putting it away without anyone forcing me to do it. She would see my husband and have to force herself from running out of her hiding place and giving him a big o'l kiss. I think that she would watch me rocking my baby to sleep or reading a book to Griffin and cry with joy that she would one day become a Mother.

Yeah...I think that I would make that young girl proud.

5 comments:

2Wired2Tired said...

What a great post! Life definitely takes us down paths we don't expect, it's so wonderful when you can enjoy where you are right now.

By the way, I love Back to the Future - all three of them. Still top of my list for favorite movies.

Dreamgirl said...

Love this post! Good writing girl... and wow, what a beautiful picture!
Just stopping by from SITS wishing you a great week!

Alicia said...

i love that picture!! btw--did i tell you i left you an award? because i did...

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

this was a GREAT post! old pictures of me just depress me. i was smokin hot and now i'm just smokin.

Erin Bennett Jenkins said...

You are gorgeous! I wish I could be you!