Sunday, September 27, 2009

God hit me over the head with my remote control.


I am a spiritual person but I don't like to talk about it. I'm one of those "walk the walk, don't talk the talk" kind of girls. Let's just say that I ended up in one too many theological debates in College. Now, my spirituality is my business. Yet, I just have to share with you an experience I had the other day.

Quick disclaimer: If your opinion is different from mine that is between you and the "Big guy" so please, don't drag me into it. M'kay? Love ya! Okay, now that that's out of the way, let's get down to business shall we?

As I have told you numerous times, I have gotten just a little freaky over the flu this season (Exhibit A-here and Exhibit B-here and Exhibit C-here). Well, the other day Griffin's teacher (whom we love dearly) was absent from school. When she returned the next day she announced that her children were at home with 104 temperatures. She thought that they had the flu and strep throat. GREAT! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE? I thought to myself as she gave Griffin a hello hug. All I could see were germs swarming around them. I smile through my teeth and ran out to the car to slather my hands in Purell. My brain started kicking into overdrive and I just knew that we were all about to catch the Flu.

When I got home I went into a full blown panic about it. I was just so weary from worry, I didn't think that I could carry around this burden of worry anymore. It's really not like me. I remembered my mom had told me that sometimes she'll put a sermon on the television and just let it run in the background while she does stuff around the house. She said the inevitably, she will hear something that enlightens her. I was so desperate for relief that I turned on the TV and started to fold laundry while I watched it.

I had stumbled upon Kenneth Copeland Ministries, which is SO not my speed. He was snarling "and the loward sayeth" type messages and I grabbed the remote control to turn it. Something in my heart told me to leave it on that channel. "Don't be so judgemental" I said aloud to myself and set down the remote.

He was preaching a non-offensive sermon about how we don't have to let our past rule the present. You know the sermon, claiming victory in Jesus over our past mistakes, that kind of stuff. I kind of half listened as I folded clothes. Then, he said "and let me tell you something about fear and the flu." My eyes popped open and I plopped down on the couch with a pile of folded towels in my hand. He was about to speak to me directly. "When you give in to your fear of illness, you are accepting it into your life, as if to invite the flu into your home." I couldn't believe it, it was if God had just walked in and hit me over the head with the remote control. Kenneth Copeland had nailed it.

I can't give in to my fear anymore. He spoke on and on about Psalm 21 and every word was meant for my heart to take in. I was delivered. Right there, with a huge pile of unfolded laundry all around me, my fearful heart released the worry. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Now, when a worry pops up about the flu I just say to myself..."I am not accepting that into my life." Amazing, something so simple as redirecting my thoughts has set me free. That sermon was meant for me to see.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing timing! I'm glad that you have release to this worry! ;)

Tracey said...

The "Loward" speaks in mysterious ways! ;)

Lee said...

Well, we got that piggy flu over here...dammit. And, I WAS going to go to temple to repent tonight for Yom Kippur. Guess the lord had different plans for me...maybe I haven't sinned this past year?? Yup, must be why my daughter has 103 fever and the oinks!!

Tracie said...

Praise the Lord and pass the Lysol!
I'm glad you aren't going to be burdened with this worry anymore. (Especially because it looks to like it's going to be a long flu season.)

Joy said...

Whenever someone says the flu (or anything else) is going around, my brother (who is a pastor) says "It's goin' around me!" Funny how God will use someone you'd normally blow off to teach you something you need to learn. :)

Tami G said...

I'm a firm believer that God will speak to you in the strangest way in the time you least expect it but most need it! I think it's amazing when something like that happens in life.
I'm glad you found peace =)

(new follower through Lee at Your Couture Kid)

Lani said...

I'm not a big religious person.. but that just makes sense. I'm glad you shared that. You have a lovely blog and I appreciate your style!

I am hosting a Blog For A Cure Blog Party over at Who Knew? Reviews, (www.whoknewreviews.blogspot.com) starting today and running all week! Great way to get new followers, win great prizes, and support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!

Alicia said...

can you feel the healing power??? amen sister!! well i'm glad you got some comfort out of all that!!! that's awesome!

Theta Mom said...

Awesome timing for you! It's kind of like, you can't control something that is out of your control, so might as well release the worry, right? Amen!!!

Dreamgirl said...

Well, I think God speaks to us through different people. So glad you got delivered from your fear!


Just stopping by from SITS to wish you a very happy Monday!

Alice in Wonderland said...

It's hard to believe that these things just happen right at that moment! Sometimes it feels to me, anyway, that these people are talking JUST TO ME and no one else!
I wonder if anyone else has had an experience like that? You know the sort of thing, you could just be wondering about something, and there, right on the T.V. someone comes right out with the answer!
Have a great Monday!

Danielle said...

Darn it! I wish he would have spoke to me. My whole fam Damily has been sick for over a week now.

Jessica said...

Oh, beautiful. I love it. I struggle with fear, too, about everything, really, so this is something I needed to read. Thank you!

vanilla said...

Sometimes we just find wisdom in the most unexpected places.

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS! I know it sounds corny, but I truly believe there are little signs to help us everywhere. How neat for you!

Elle Bee said...

That is awesome!
Elle