Monday, August 2, 2010

This little light of mine...

{image from first Day of the Dead show at Youngblood Gallery}

Let me tell you something about little ol' me...I am a closet artist.
Brimming with creativity but also a bit of a
scaredy cat when it comes to showing people my art,
the art stays in my head.
It's much safer in there.

All of my roommates in college were photo majors,
my best friend is an amazing photographer, her husband is an artist,
one of my oldest and dearest friends was a
ceramics major and jewelry maker.
When I lived in Atlanta I went to art openings
all the time to see the work of my friends.
I have surrounded myself with artists
but never once have claimed my space in the art world.

Well, I set a goal for myself this year that
I would show my art in a gallery.
That's right...a real gallery with
white walls, fancy lighting, and an opening reception.
Just the thought of this makes my
heart race and my palms start to sweat.

Well, guess what? I am going to be included in a show at
Youngblood Gallery for a show called Day of the Dead.
Each artist is given a small coffin to transform into a work of art.
I submitted an idea and they said yes!!
I am so thrilled to have reached my goal of showing my work in a gallery.
The best part is that my inspiration for my piece
comes from the last chapter of a novel that I have yet to write.
It will feel so amazing to get this idea out with images instead of words.
Maybe then, the words will come.

This is WAY out of my comfort zone and I'm a bit nervous about
debuting the artist living within me but I think that it's my time.
It's time for me to be brave and let all of the creativity
that is brimming within me overflow.

So, I have 3 months to take the idea that is in my head
and place it lovingly into a tiny coffin.
I can't wait to show y'all the finished piece!!!

Please scroll down to find out the winner of Freakshow Friday!

18 comments:

R Montalban said...

Well done you and look forward to seeing it.

Alexandra said...

Out of your comfort zone is what life is all about. It's where the new connections, new opportunites, new sense of self come from.

AWESOME.

If I wouldn't have gone out of my comfort zone, and begun a blog, I'd still be little ol' me.

GO fight win!! and this is great!!

Caroline said...

I can't wait to see it. It sounds like great fun and I'm sure your work will be fabulous! Keep us posted!

:)

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

That is great. I can't wait to see your work.

Lesley said...

YEAH...congrats...that is fantastic!

MommyLovesStilettos said...

That is awesome!!! SO happy for you!

Anonymous said...

congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations ! I know it felt good to me to have my work in an exhibit. It did make my palm sweat and my heart race.
Wouhouuu!!

Supermom said...

WOOHOO!
I am so excited for you!

Unknown said...

Oh that is great!

BigSis said...

Your photography is amazing. I am sure you will wow us with the coffin. Not too sure about the coffin part, but I can't wait to see the end result.

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

There is nothing more fun in this world than doing something with your amazing creative mind and then have others say Yes! Congrats to you and enjoy!

Lisa said...

Congratulations! This is such a huge step...hope we get to see the finished project. Enjoy the process!

Tracie said...

Good for you! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Unknown said...

Leigh--this sounds so cool and I can't wait to see it when it's done! So proud of you and inspired by you!

Expat Barbie said...

comfort zones are for amateurs ;)

teamBoo said...

This is inspiring. I felt like i was relating as i read, but then i came across the part that said you are midway through writing a book and then I felt like a loser. You are way ahead of me sister. I cleaned and re-organized my fridge today...does that count as creative? ;)

thanks for not forgetting me. You are such a trusty reader. I love seeing the comments you leave, they're always a nice surprise :)

Me said...

So exciting Leigh! Good luck! Can't wait to see/hear more about it!