Wednesday, August 31, 2011

An Ode to my Backyard

My weekly column is up over at Athens Patch.
Today we are discussing childhood dreams
becoming a reality in your adult life.

Has your life met the expectations
you had for the future when you were young?
Here's a little sample...


My husband and I stood back and admired our two sons as they happily ran through our new backyard and climbed up our new swing set. Half an acre of land had been cleared out by our own two hands to prepare a space for the children to play. A picket fence wrapped around the yard and closed us all in like free range chickens.

It had been a true labor of love. We had spent many weekends cutting down and hauling off trees to make the perfect clearing. After months of hard work, we had finished the project. And now we were standing in our own little paradise.

Please click here to read the rest of the story
and to join in the discussion over there.

5 comments:

Lesley said...

It looks fantastic!!!

Linda D. said...

I am reminded of Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture!
When he knew he was dying of an incurable disease, he wrote about how he had fulfilled so many of his childhood dreams!

I LOVE this post!

Caroline said...

yay! can't wait to read it! xo

Katherine said...

I am convinced, that as a parent, there is nothing better than seeing your own children play in your very own backyard. I'm so glad you have your own spot.

Susan Anderson said...

I have to say that my life has met and exceeded expectations. I have gotten most of what I wanted most.

A true blessing.

=)