Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Stay at Home Mom Chronicles :: Chopping Wood and Flexing Muscles

I'm realizing that my days around here seem to run together.
Ordinary moments unfold around me daily
and I need to stop and relish in them.
One day, my boys will be out living life
and I will miss these everyday experiences.

So, I am taking the time to document
the simple moments that pass between us.
I'm calling this little collection of memories...

<span class=


Photobucket

Watching Daddy chop wood.

Lately, Roger has been chopping our wood pile after dinner.
The boys gather on the deck
with their manliest tools,
(a pretend chainsaw and front loader)
stand a safe distance,
and watch him as he swings the ax.

Photobucket

They cheer and shout as
the wood cracks
from the impact
and splits in two.

They look at Roger
like he is the biggest and strongest
man alive.

It's turned out to be
the best evening entertainment
for our family.

DSC_0012-2
As they watch, they both flex their muscles.
They grunt and pretend to
cut down trees with sticks.

Sometimes the two of them
take breaks from watching dad
to smack our patio furniture.

You can tell that they feel very manly.

Photobucket

Each of them requests a turn
now and again
to pretend to cut the wood.

Roger takes a break
as the toy chainsaw
makes a fake cutting noise.

He talks to them about technique and form.

Photobucket

It's like a lumberjack competition
in a pretend world.

I am surrounded by boyness.

Photobucket

Sometimes I feel like the lone flower
that blooms out of a pile of sticks.

While the little men help daddy,
I am off admiring sweet little buds.

Photobucket

Mostly, I admire the hard work
of my husband
as he chops the wood
and tends to our little boys.

They look up to him
and his strength.

I will always treasure
watching him teach these boys
how to be good men.

6 comments:

Linda D. said...

Charming! Boys enjoying the "man things" daddy does? Priceless! Hang in there Lone Flower and keep on appreciating those special moments!

Linda D. said...

BTW, I noticed a family at a restaurant the other day with 4 stair step girls. The youngest was a few months old but dressed in black so I asked if they finally got their boy??? Both parents just sighed and shook their heads, no. But both parents also smiled and said they wouldn't trade their girls for anything!

I imagine the father feels like the lone Pine Tree in a forest of sapling oaks. Maybe his fantasy is to be the hero, chopping wood, for a little guy!

Caroline said...

Leigh, this is probably one of my favorite posts of yours ever.

Your observations are beautiful and poignant. I think that you are the lone flower in the family makes you all the more cherished. And that you treasure the boy-ness that surrounds you? Priceless.

Susan Anderson said...

I agree with Caroline. This is just a lovely post all around.

Well done!

=)

Scarlet said...

Ah, this is very sweet. What a tribute to your husband. I love it! Where did you get that loader?

Maude Lynn said...

This is so precious!