Tuesday, March 20, 2012

52 Weeks of Happiness :: Week 2

<span class=

Long ago, I once had a cat
named Cowboy that was my soul mate.

He was a loyal little scamp that loved his freedom

but always came home to snuggle and purr in my lap.


He was hilarious, and I swear that
if a cat could laugh
that we shared more then one
inside joke together.

So, I was devastated when he mysteriously died
in my front yard, seven years ago.

I miss him all the time.

<span class=

He was so independent that people
were always trying to claim him,
but he knew where his heart belonged.

I always heard stories of him sleeping in
my neighbor's beds at night
or snuggling up on the couch with them
while they watched TV.

The neighborhood kids
would dress him up in doll clothes.
Everybody loved Cowboy.

So, I made a little tag declaring my love for him
and they
always clinked together when he ran home.

The other day, when I was cleaning out my closet,

I found the tags that once dangled from his collar.

I attached it to my key ring
and now when I drive over bumps
in my car, the tag clinks against the keys.

I love that little noise...
the same happiness washes over me

as it did when I could hear him scampering home.

It's such a gift.

<span class=

I also found his water bowl
that a dear friend made for him long ago.

It has a crack but still works just fine.
So, I gave it to my two cranky cats,
Atticus and Scout.

Whenever I step out onto my porch,
I see it there and it makes me so happy.

To see Scout tower over it and claim
Cowboy's bowl is a super sweet sight.

He's still here in spirit.
Remembering him daily brings me so much joy.

<span class=

Want to join me in my quest
to scout out happiness for a whole year?
Simply post a photo of something that
makes you wildly happy and tell us all about it.
Then, steal my button and include it in your post.
Don't forget to link up to Mr. Linky.



16 comments:

4 Lettre Words said...

I'm a cat person so this story made my heart sing, Leigh. Love.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Cowboy sounds like a great cat.

R Montalban said...

That is the sweetest story, and I love how you wear his tag on your keys

Unknown said...

luv that kitty bowl

Jen said...

Oh Cowboy. How sweet. Love the key ring too. I'm a cat lover too!

Anonymous said...

I'm allergic to cats, EXTREMELY allergic, so I'm not a big fan of them. But even *I* enjoyed this story. Thanks for sharing!

Jessica said...

Awww, love cats, he looked like a sweetie

Gina Kleinworth said...

Oh so sweet. I can tell you that we had a cat like that- he passed away 4 years ago after a long 18 year life and it still pains me so much to think about him. He is greatly missed in this house.

Libby said...

Attaching his tags to your keys is SUCH a great idea... I am sorry for your loss, but at the same time, I think he is still there with you too!

Becs said...

Aah, that's so sweet. Cowboy sounds like a cool cat.

Unknown said...

Awww.....so sweet

Susan Anderson said...

I'm glad that Cowboy is so well-remembered. He sounds like he deserved it!

=)

Susan said...

Oh, such a sweet story. I love your tag and how it's now on your key-chain.

Tracie Nall said...

I love that you have those little reminders to hold onto.

Linda D. said...

Love you found things that remind you of your lost little cowboy guy and have made daily use of them as sweet reminders. Lovely post.

Andrea said...

Cowboy sounds like one of those cats that would have made me ignore my allergies to love him up anyway! The tag is adorable!