Thursday, January 17, 2013

"The Kitchen" Salon


Lately my life has felt serendipitous. You know the old saying "when one day closes then another door opens"? That seems to be my mantra these days. After the disappointment of losing my column I was feeling a bit wayward. Just when I was on the verge of an existential crisis, people started reaching out to me for haircuts.


I love doing hair. It's so fun to have people join me in my kitchen and chat away while I play with their locks. It hardly feels like work. So, my little kitchen clientele is slowly growing.

Now my mornings are slowly filling up and I'm enjoying it so much. I've decided that my make shift home salon will be called "The Kitchen". I'm even thinking of making little cards for my clients to give out to their friends to get the word out.

My slogan will be "Home of the $25 kitchen cut!" and I plan to put a little picture of a vintage lady in an apron holding up a pair of shears.

It's so refreshing to have a vision. To have this gift appear to me mere moments before I was about to fall into an abyss of misdirection.

Life has a funny way of revealing the important things. I find that in order for the important things to show up, we have to let our old ways go. Sometimes it's a choice but other times, it just happens for us.

I think that one of the hardest things about being a Stay-at-home mom is that you rarely get recognition for your had work. When you have a job, you get all kinds of feedback on your work but when you're at home, the kids aren't throwing praise your way for cleaning the bathroom well or packing a really great lunch for school. It can feel really isolating.

So, I treasure the moment when my client looks in the mirror at their finished cut and I see a light in their eyes. They feel beautiful. It's does my soul good to have their light shine in front of me. (I've only had three cases of tears and dread after I finished but that was way at the start of my career and I'm pretty sure that they had other stuff going on).

Anyway, I'm enjoying this surprise turn of events. I think that it's so important to love the life you live, don't you?




2 comments:

Linda D. said...

I love this quote from your blog post ..."Life has a funny way of revealing the important things. I find that in order for the important things to show up, we have to let our old ways go. Sometimes it's a choice but other times, it just happens for us." Amen, sister!

Katherine said...

I completely feel you about parenthood not being great at giving you feedback on the job you are doing. I think it's wonderful that you are doing something like this. I love it.