Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Movie review: 2012


Let me preface this movie review by informing you that I can't stand disaster movies. I get really freaked out while I watch them and switch into survival mode. Inevitably, I end up badgering my husband throughout the entire film informing him that we need to stockpile food, build an underground shelter, buy a plane, get a generator, teach the boys to never be the hero, and that there is no shame in running. This drives Roger crazy. I end up loudly whispering things like "We need cans of beans" or "If Griffin and Koen try to run off like that it is your job the throw them over your shoulder and force them to come with us, sock em' in the nose if you have too!"

I must have been desperate for adult time or a glutton for punishment because I somehow agreed to go see 2012 over the weekend. My husband loves disaster movies. The poor guy will stay up after I go to bed to watch the film Independence Day at least once every 6 weeks (at least I think that's what he's watching?) So, since I love my man, I found myself in a dark theater munching on popcorn and screaming my head off.

The movie was actually pretty entertaining. I cried 5 times because I'm a wimp and the target audience. At least I know my role.

John Cusack was like Lloyde Dobler on steroids. Except you will not see him doing this...


No...you will see him running and jumping and escaping death in unrealistic ways at least 10 times. I can't help it though, he'll always be Llloyd Dobler to me. In the end though, I would tell someone to go see this movie if they want to get their heart rate up. The special effects are amazing, the plot in implausible, and I'd say it was an afternoon not totally wasted.

Now excuse me while I go draft up or family emergency plan.

17 comments:

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

i have wondered about seeing this - i think i'm going to opt for 4th kind

also i am def going to try out a game of sardines - i had to read that comment out loud - so funny

thanks for sharing and caring

boots said...

your hilarious- i am definably going to see this, i am strangely into scaring myself. :)

UBERMOUTH said...

I am like you in that I love horror films but they scare the shit out of me.
But I can't resist.

Lee said...

hmmmm, you are the second review. The first said it was bad. I think I'll wait for the DVD...should be out next week.

Theta Mom said...

Alright, done. Now I want to see it!!!

Holly Lefevre said...

I want to see this. I love disaster movies. One girl at my son's school has been going around telling the other 8 year olds that the world is going to end in 2012 for weeks...that has been a fun conversation.

Holly

PS-I am a little behind, but there is something for you on my post from 11/15.

Tracie Nall said...

I've been trying to decide if this is a "go see" or a "wait to rent".....hmmmmm. Maybe I will go see it.

Unknown said...

HOnestly I have no interest in seeing this movie lol... I like disaster films.. World Trade Center ripped my heart out... but this one doesn't even make me bat an eye lol

Anonymous said...

This and Paranormal Activity are on my watchlist for the week. I'm not sure I'm ready to be freaked out.

Matty said...

You sound just like my wife. She will not watch any movie like this, and if she did, she'd have our basement stockpiled for the end of days. And lose sleep over it, and think about it, and talk about it, and..........if you want her number to talk, let me know.

KristinFilut said...

I love John Cusack. I have seen ALL of his movies and own most of them. This wasn't on my list... But now, maybe.....

MAKE MONEY WITH MONEYBOOKERS said...

I can’t wait to see this movie
Thanks Pattymelt!

Liz Mays said...

I love John Cusack so I might have to see it.

Tracie said...

I can't sit through a movie this long. Unless I can read blogs on my laptop at the same time.

Expat Barbie said...

i kind of sort of really really REALLY want to see this movie. especially since i'm an apocalypse nut. yes, a nice jewish apocalypse nut.

go figure.

Unknown said...

I have always been in love with Lloyd Dobbler. I am on the fence about seeing this one for the same reasons, though. It scares the pants off me and makes me want to hoard things in my pantry.

Say Anything is one of my all-time favorite movies...sigh. Love me some John Cusack, so may have to see this regardless of your warnings!

2Wired2Tired said...

I was on the fence about seeing this one in the theater. Your review did make it sound like a must see in the theater, so maybe we'll get out to see it next date night.