Tuesday, April 12, 2011

52 Weeks of Happiness :: Week 6

Photobucket

When the oven is busy baking.

I just love how the smell
of something sweet
cooking in the oven
attracts curious little noses to the kitchen.


It amazes me to think
how much I've grown to enjoy making treats.
Me, who was once a self proclaimed disaster in the kitchen.

Griffin's class is having a bake sale
to raise money for the people of Japan.

I was more than happy to spend the afternoon baking.


Photobucket

It makes me feel feminine somehow as my kitchen
becomes a flurry of activity.

The sound of the eggs cracking and
the spoon swishing to mix the ingredients,
these sweet kitchen noises make a house
sound more like a home.

Photobucket

I used to be so afraid of cooking
but that was just because I was inexperienced.
I feel empowered now when
something yummy
comes out of the oven.

Baking can be a very healing experience.


Photobucket

Last night, after the oven was off
and the muffins and brownies
were all wrapped up lovingly for the bake sale,

I languidly rocked Koen to sleep at bedtime.

The smell of chocolate and powdered sugar
lingered on my spring dress.


It made me feel like a Mama.


Photobucket



Want to join me in my quest
to scout out happiness for a whole year?
Simply post a photo of something that
makes you wildly happy and tell us all about it.
Then, steal my button and include it in your post.
Don't forget to link up to Mr. Linky.

P.S. Did you know that I'm hosting a giveaway?
Scroll on down for the details!

28 comments:

R Montalban said...

Oh, your house sounds full of warmth and love.

Tiffany said...

Love baking too...especially with the kids!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Nice shots of the baking. I can almost smell the sweet air in your house.

Courtney said...

These look insanely delicious! I agree, baking can be somewhat therapeutic.

Anika said...

Mmmm, sounds like a lovely time. Can't wait to do the same with my little one! Now I am all excited to bake ;)

Carly said...

Yummy !!!!! You just made me hungry...lol

Sara said...

That looks delicious!!

Caution/Lisa said...

That's it!! I've never understood why doing something domestic feels good even though I HATE doing those things. But you're absolutely right. Doing those things makes me feel like a mama. Great insight :)

Linda D. said...

You have captured the "zen" and soul of "Mama Cooking". Definitely relates to family roots and rooting your own kids in the amazing rituals of baking. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Yummy!

Caroline said...

I love it. Baking always makes me feel like a mom.

I am SO hungry now looking at all the yumminess here!!

Marci said...

Mmm..those brownies look DELISH! And I loved that last line "made me feel like a MAMA"..call me old-fashioned, but I feel the same way!

Unknown said...

crap you now how to make a girl salivate don't you.. those look wonderful..

Unknown said...

I go through phases where I love that too. I then get really grumpy because my family doesn't seem to appreciate it though and it's a lot of work...cooking and cleaning up. Especially when no one cares.

Katherine said...

A kitchen full of good food and time with my boys makes me feel very much like a mama, too. Beautiful post.

Susan Anderson said...

Beautiful post, Leigh, and well-written, too. You've almost convinced me to go back to baking!

=)

SarahMarie said...

I loved the last part the best.

QueenScarlett said...

I love that too. I love it even more when the kids get so excited, and are so grateful...and tell me I'm the best baker in the whole world. Baking for kids...rules. ;-)

Susan said...

Yum! I love the smell of something sweet in the oven too.

Michelle Pixie said...

I love baking and cooking as well, it really is so empowering when all goes right! Another beautiful post. :)

Coffee Lovin' Mom said...

I never think to take pictures when we are baking - I think I'm worried about getting the recipe right..

Unknown said...

Yum, I'm glad your finding happiness in the kitchen!

Pieni Lintu said...

Looks so delicious!! :)

Our Beaten Path said...

I loved this post. It made me feel like I was watching an episode of Mayberry.

Tracie Nall said...

Such a great happiness moment.

I'm not much for the cooking...but I'm all for the eating!!

from mel said...

no joke the pictures of those yummy things made my stomach growl. getting something sweet asap. :)

Teddy Started It said...

OMG! I've been gone for so long. Today -- even though it's Wednesday -- I decided to check and see if you were still doing your happiness project. Call it synchronicity! I was baking yesterday too...and I blogged about it on my family blog. It's so good to see your'e still out here, and getting happy about things. Maybe this will inspire me to resume my blogging activity.

Thanks for all you do:D

Splendid Little Stars said...

This is a wonderful story with great photos! What a great idea for a meme!