Thursday, December 1, 2011

Survival Tips for the Holidays.

Photobucket

This is the only picture that I took on Thanksgiving day.
How could that be?

Me, who lives my life documenting each silly moment,
only took one photo and it was of my kid
in my messy living room,
wearing a pilgrim hat that I forced him to wear,
while I begged him to take his eyes off of his video game,
and smile for the camera in celebration of Thanksgiving.

Between the craziness of baking a lopsided cake,
making a mad dash in the car
because we were late to the Thanksgiving feast,
and scarfing down my food at the table while my
exhausted little one who needed a nap
hung tightly to my leg...

I learned a lot about
how I intend to not only survive the impending
Christmas celebrations
but truly enjoy each moment.

I am going to slow down
and really take it in.
I'm going to breath deep
and try to stay present.

Head on over to
Life Well Lived and read my comment
and while your there answer this question..

What are some of your best tips for
surviving the season of parties, celebrations and family get-togethers?


Oh...and don't forget to stop by
Life Well Lived Moments Sweepstakes 4:
and Share A Moment and Enter to Win $250.

9 comments:

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Slowing down is great advice. We ran too much on Thanksgiving. I plan to slow down to enjoy it more.

Andrea said...

For a couple of years now I have really tried to make sure to do things that I WANT to do, sometimes over things I feel like I HAVE to do. Oh, and getting decent sleep goes without saying!

Jenn said...

I agree... slow down... and concentrate on the important things like family and friends and not on gifts and details.

Linda D. said...

Love the photo. If you only managed to get one, that's the one to cherish because it captures the spirit of bringing holiday fun into the lives of our children.. even if they are distracted by the pull of video games! Nicely done.

KLZ said...

That photo is awesome. I sort of wish I had a pilgrim hat every day.

Unknown said...

Aww he is adorable.. I agree holidays are hectic so I take it one day at a time and I have the kids help with things like candy making or cookie cutting

Susan Anderson said...

I hope I can do the same...Be still and enjoy Christmas. So far, it's been a little frenetic, but I hope to settle in to some peaceful celebration by next week.

=)

Caroline said...

I never got stressed during the holidays as a child--but NOW once Thanksgiving approaches, I find myself getting all worked up. I try and remember how I felt as a kid during the holiday season and that helps.

p.s. I love the pilgrim hat and I actually think it's great that this was the only pic on turkey day. You'll always remember that--and that's the good stuff.

Hilary said...

Slowing down is great advice, but I struggle with that...