Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Summer Bliss


I remember the feeling so well.
Summer laziness was one of the best 
parts of being a kid.

Bone tired from playing in the pool,
the smell of sunscreen and chlorine
permeated around me as I
sprawled out on the floor and
watched a Looney Toons cartoon.

Now, I see my children,
curled up together in their beanbag,
happy and content to watch Daffy Duck's antics.

It's comforting to see that in this
ever-changing world that some things stay the same.
Even though I am being run ragged
keeping up with these two monsters,
I am happy to be able
to grant them these quintessential moments of childhood.

Ah...to be a kid in the summer.
Is there anything better?

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Lazy? Did you say lazy? My two teens are working to perfect the term. I miss those days sometimes when the time sprawled out on the couch seemed "earned" somehow. :)

Susan Anderson said...

I like that basketball beanbag. My kids would have loved that. They were ballers.

=)