Monday, July 26, 2010

Ah...memories of COMPLETE insanity.

So, after my little nervous breakdown last week, I started thinking about the absolute insanity that follows after you have a baby. Upon reflection of my life this time last year, I realized that I've come a long way. Here is a repost from July of last year, on a day that I almost lost my mind. Take note...my mind is still intact. Mothers can survive such amazing levels of craziness.
This gives me hope that I will make it through the rest of summer.



Yesterday we went on a quest because I had a hankering for some bar-b-que. My dad had bragged to me about this amazing dining experience he had while eating at an all you can eat buffet at Fresh Air Bar-b-que. He told a tale of Ribs so tender that the meat just fell off the bone. He painted a picture of home made Mac n cheese, squash casserole, and banana pudding for desert. We packed up the kids and hopped on loop 10 for what would be the most unrelenting journey I've ever taken to get a plate of BBQ.

You see, we are admittedly still adjusting to having 2 children. We just aren't doing it with style at this point. We are like a three ring circus, the four of us, and even a twenty minute ride is a challenge for us.

Let me set the stage...

Our 4 year old Griffin refuses to eat anything but MacDonald's or Subway when eating out. We do exactly as my parents did when I was a child. Which was to simply pick it up at the drive thru on the way to where the grown ups wanted to eat. I ate many Happy Meals at various Chinese food restaurants as a child, so why shouldn't I do it for my spoiled kid?

Well, as we barreled down the road (because we were all starving) Griffin became very concerned that he was going to be forced to eat Bar-b-que even though we had told him a million times already that we were going to get him a Happy Meal. He asked over and over what the plan was, where the restaurant was located, how much longer it would take to get there. Then, Koen started screaming because he was hungry. Roger and I looked at each other like we were about to cave and eat at crappy McDonald's yet again.This is a new theme in our lives, we try so hard to eat an adult meal but don't even make it to the restaurant of choice because of poor time management and rumbling tummies. We need to leave twenty minutes earlier but don't because we are juggling our new routine with two kids.

I digress, we quickly made a new plan. He and Griffin would run into McDonald's and Griffin would eat his lunch while I breastfed Koen in the car. We both agreed that we could wait to eat because we really wanted to dine at the "amazing" all you can eat buffet. Half an hour later, we were back in the car with two fed children and two starving parents. I was proud of us for holding out and could amost taste the delicious meal we were on our way to partake in.

Upon arrival at Fresh Air BBQ, the first thing we saw was about fifteen rednecks having a family reunion on the front porch. I jumped out of the car and very rudely pushed my way through the door to beat this huge family to the buffet. Roger trailed behind with a car seat in one hand and Griffin in the other. I have no shame when it comes to BBQ, I'll take out any redneck that gets in my way.

When I finally made it inside the restaurant I discovered that the buffet was closed. It sat empty and dark in the corner as my heart sank. The buffet is only available for weekday lunch. I quickly ran over to read the menu that had been hand written on a dry erase board. There were no ribs, no mac-n-cheese, and no squash casserole. I had the choice of pulled pork sandwiches with potato chips or chicken tenders. I pathetically ordered the sand which and sat down to a mediocre meal. Roger and I ate in defeated silence as Griffin ran circles around our table. I was so beat down that I just let my kid run amok.

I thought for sure that the entire journey and meal would be worth it for some home made banana pudding. When I went to order it, the lovely elderly lady behind the cash registered uttered "We ain't got none today." I backed away slowly as to not make a scene.

This sent me into an existential crisis. Who am I? Why am I here? What does it take to get a decent plate of BBQ around here?

10 comments:

R Montalban said...

Oh, Leigh, I really do feel for you, what a shame. Your venison burgers with chips sound as thought they would be much better, and for pudding the delicious marmalade pudding from your cook book - delicious!

Unknown said...

Good Lord what self respecting restaurant CLOSES he buffet on what should be the busiest buffet day of the year? Wouldn't happen in KY I can tell ya lol...

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I feel for you. Did you ever go back for the buffet?

Maureen said...

One day we get to look back on these days and...laugh? Cry? Be glad they're over? Wish we had them back? Wonder how we survived? It really does become easier eventually, although my kids (a little older than yours) still don't like to eat at any restaurants except McDonald's or Chick Fil A. Meh.

Did you ever get to try the buffet?

Caroline said...

This post is exactly why I love you. Don't mess with a Southern girl and her BBQ. I am SO in love with good BBQ it's not even funny, and the sad part is that I can never find a good place around here. When friends of mine go to SC or NC, they always bring BBQ back for me. And cole slaw. And Banana pudding was one of my grandfather's favorites, and I inherited that gene too. :)

LOVED this post.

Tiffany Tweedie said...

We don't have BBQ where I live. In fact, the only place I can think of that served ribs closed a year ago (they were awful, no loss!) Well, besides Chili's and I don't think that counts!

Susan Anderson said...

You remind me of what a circus those early days with a new baby can be. We did it four times...and we're still a little crazy as a result...even 28 years later!

Sorry your ribs and banana pudding were missing in action...At this point, you deserve some good BBQ!

=)

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

I totally get it. I was a LUNATIC after my child was born, and when you are in it, you don't know how bad at the time, you know? The hormones and sleep deprivation and complete change of your life. Also, I think it has more of an impact too because you just don't expect to feel that way.

Tracie said...

Poor Leigh! And now I'm craving bananna pudding. Or bread pudding. Or any kind of delicious homemade treat.

k. allyson petty said...

My aunt and uncle swear this is the best bbq ever! They have a lake house on Lake Sinclaire in Milledgeville, and one there way home to Fayetteville they stop every time to pick up some Fresh Air BBQ.