Friday, March 11, 2011

The Day the TV Died (a very true story).

Photobucket
{The boys enjoying our new TV, now all we need is one of these fancy
LCD TV stands to stick it on and we'll be living large.}

I'm getting ahead of myself...

Recently our beloved television started to act wonky. (Not just any television though. My parents bestowed a 5o inch flat screen TV for Christmas six years ago).

It was our pride and joy.

We loved it.

Until one morning, it decided to just not come on. It was sad. My husband did emergency surgery on it by taking the whole thing apart and flashing a flashlight on it's insides while he scratched his head.

We all said a prayer.
I even posted a prayer request on Facebook.

Photobucket

The house fell silent as it was pronounced dead.

Ripples of sadness flowed throughout the house.

We scrambled to get a TV to replace it's spot of honor in the living room. Luckily, my dad is addicted to buying new electronics and has
bequeathed many old yet functioning sets to us over the years.

Would it be the 32 inch set that was made in 1998?
No...the picture was terrible.
Would it be the 17 inch flat screen that was in my office?
No...we needed binoculars to see the picture from the couch.
We were forced to go retro-grade,
which is considered one of the seven deadly sins in my home.

Desperation took hold and we resigned ourselves
to the fact that we had been spoiled and that
the 17 incher would just have to do.
It was three full days of pitiful TV watching.

Until...(cue Superman theme song) my parents took pity on us and gave us a brand spankin' new shiny 42 ich flat screen TV as an early anniversary present.
All was right with the world.
Then what did we do?
We got rid of cable.

It's a crazy word out there, people.

8 comments:

Caroline said...

Streaming device, I say!! We got an Apple TV and love it. But then again, we started having "connection issues" because of all our wireless devices. Ahhhh, the problems of our modern world. Loved this post. It's a Leigh vs Laundry classic.

Unknown said...

Go with Direct TV if cable is too high. We have a gazilliion channels tons of ways to set it up so kids can't see inappropriate stuff and for 1/3 the cost of cable or Dish network..

Susan Anderson said...

You are such a funny girl.

Glad a new TV came your way!

=)

Unknown said...

Sounds more like a very true nightmare to me! Recently we went 2 weeks without tv and I thought I'd die. I felt so isolated from the world. I don't watch a lot of tv but like right now...I'm watching the tsunami. I can't imagine not being able to do that!
And I don't know how I raised 3 girls without the help of Disney princesses.

Jenn said...

Love it!
We haven't had real TV since rabbit ears died a few years back and the world went digital. Our DVD just broke and I am in a similar dilema. Thank god for netflix instant and a new bigger monitor on the computer.
Thanks for the laugh.
Jenn

Tiffany Tweedie said...

We are still old school in my house. Monolithic sets from the '90s! The kind that would kill a small adult if it fell over on them. I am poor and cheap. It will take a death like you experienced to make me replace one. But I do look longingly and with great envy at all my friends' sleek sets!

However, I do have Cable!! I even get Encore and Stars. Don't be hatin'!

Jessica Monte said...

I love this post!

We just moved our 40 plus inch television into our bedroom for HD with our new HD Tivo. Our older flat screen (also smallish) is now sitting in the living room. Our daughter is not happy. So we're going to swap back the 40 inch and purchase a new smallish HD flat screen.

All that to tell you that we're getting rid of cable. It is a funny world, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I would freak out if our TV died! I gotta have it. Its my bff. Sad, but true. lol