Thursday, March 3, 2011

A goodbye letter...


Dear Basic and Expanded Cable,
I am breaking up with you. First of all, you cost way too much money for me to justify keeping you around. It's time for us to act like grown ups and let the luxury items go for a bit, just until we can live within our budget. I hate to tell you this but you are not as important as you think you are.

Sure, you may have a hold of me in the mid-afternoon when a Sex and the City marathon is on and well, I may only clean my home in spurts during the commercial breaks but that does not mean that you hold all the power. My life will go on without you. I don't really need to keep up with the Kardashians or watch Joan Rivers flap her dentures on Fashion Police.

Who am I kidding? I love you, cable! Netflix may be great but we will never have the special relationship that we do. I will miss Bravo and Mtv and Hoarders on A&E. I will miss you with all of my heart and I long for the day that you return. I love you and all the reality TV that lives within you!

Until we meet again,
Leigh

P.S. I've enclosed a photograph of happier times.

14 comments:

Amber said...

Yay........for the break up. I don't know why we have it. The TV is on about 4 hours a day and 3 of those are in the evening while my husband watches sports.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I totally feel the same way about my cable.

Anonymous said...

Stay strong! You can do it!

Christy said...

oh I feel the love for cable ... we are going to have to go without for a few weeks and I'm sad about that (sad, I know). hmmm ... maybe I love cable a bit too much

Unknown said...

We cannot get cable in my neck of the woods. At first I had Dish network but their bill kept getting more and more ridiculous. So I shut them down and went to Direct and Netflix and using both of them is still less then my Dish bill was

Unknown said...

I know! I wish we could just buy Bravo for $5 a month...that would be perfect.

Mindy said...

We did this for several years, then had cable for awhile, then stopped again awhile back. I think it's the best way to go! We use Netflix (just one DVD with watch instantly) and sometimes Hulu or Bravo's online episodes. It's great, especially with kids, because there isn't always something on next. It takes getting used to it, but we watch a lot less tv and I watch a lot less random junk!

Karen Mortensen said...

Way to go. Good luck.

VandyJ said...

We broke up with cable a long time ago. We have Dish network and are pretty happy with it.

Caroline Ray said...

Oh how I miss cable, too! We had to break up last year. Cable was way too demanding of my time.

Susan Anderson said...

It is getting ridiculously expensive, isn't it? I almost faint every time I look at the bill.

Sheesh!

"/

Caroline said...

Amen, sister. We finally bought a streaming device ( Apple TV) for 99 bucks and just pay the $8 netflix service. We can stream movies directly onto our tv from both the internet (you tube etc) and netflix--plus we get radio streaming as well. It's sweet.

Unknown said...

I LOVE IT! We are in the same boat, I mean I can't live without Project Runway, but at $60 a month and rising, I think it's time to call it quits!

Kimberly Kay said...

We broke up for the summer...but no one really cares about it...so we are working on 8 months without it. We DO have Netflix, so we haven't entirely Amish...BUT my kids haven't seen a commercial in 8 months!!!